Friday, May 7, 2010

Discover Something New About Your City: First Edition

I am starting a new feature on my blog today. I'm calling it Discover Something New, where I will set out to discover and share new and interesting facts about Torino. The point is to find out things I never new before that are unique to my city. So like a Private eye, I'm off to uncover Torino!
 


Fun fact #1
Torino is the birthplace of solid chocolate! That's right before Hershey's, before Cadberry's, there was a man named Doret who in 1778 used his pastry machine to solidify chocolate into an hard eatable bar. Before that you could only enjoy chocolate in liquid form. The technique spread quickly throughout Europe.

 Now, There are more chocolatiers in Torino city alone than in France and Belgium combined, and chocolate is big business here with the CioccolaTo festival in the spring. Plus the world famous Lindt, Ferrero Rocher and the much loved Nutella are produced right here. 
There is even a chocolate flavor unique to Torino called the giandujotto which I can only describe as being like biting into a milk chocolate and hazelnut nugget of frosting.

That's it for my first discovery post, I'm off to buy my own trench coat and spy glasses. Feel free to comment me with ideas and feedback!

2 comments:

shari said...

yum! giandujotto sounds delicious!! i did not know about the chocolate & torino...pretty cool! thanks for sharing you italy with me :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! As a torinese, I always go crazy when people talk about Belgian or Swiss Chocolate...