Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's Following Me

Everywhere I go in Torino, The Mole seems to peek out from every corner. I can't escape it. I think it follows me....
We went to the top of it once and it gave such a good view of the city but you can't be afraid of heights because the way you get to the top is by a glass elevator (glass bottom too) which is NOT for the faint of heart.
It was built to be a Jewish Synagogue but was never used for that. In 1953 a tornado took the roof off and even though it is the symbol of the city, they took almost 10 years to put it back.
I even went to a friends house which was a tram ride and then a bus ride away, and there it was, still staring at me.
I imagine this is what it is like to live in Paris with the Eiffel Tower always around the corner, although The Mole was built 10 years before the Eiffel Tower and it's Metropolitan architecture is what inspired Mr. Eiffel....I'm just saying. (That's true, look it up.)
Anyways, like an annoying little brother, I guess I have gotten used to having The Mole around and now when I see it, it feels like home.

4 comments:

bellatigre said...

what great pics of the The Mole! especially the last two. Brava!

LindyLouMac said...

How interesting, I had no idea it was older than The Eiffel Tower. It certainly looks as amazing but in a different way. Why is it called The Mole?

LindyLouMac said...

Good morning, me again. I just wanted to let you know that I have at last done my post on Italian advertising. Thankyou for the inspiration and for the encouragement to go ahead.

Lilienne said...

Oh, I love and miss her soooo much! :)
Thank you for your blog - it keeps me up to date with Torino - I was there for Erasmus exchange :)
Baci! :)