Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Beware

The Ides of March is the first day of the Roman New Year. It also marks the first day of spring in the Roman calendar.  It notoriously comes with bad luck.

 Yesterday, I should have known that the Ides would be a downer day. My issues were small and just annoying, raining cats and dogs, couldn't get anywhere to get any work done, stupid argument with the boyfriend, empty pantry at dinner time, waiting around for payday...didn't arrive. I usually don't like to complain about things on my blog, especially mini issues like these, but today it goes with the theme the Ides of March. 

Of course, worrying about little things helps to take my mind off the enormous problems of the people of Japan who might have had the worst Ides of March since Caesar. My heart goes out to them. 


What happened to you on the Ides? (March 15th)


Caesar:
Who is it in the press that calls on me?
I hear a tongue shriller than all the music
Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.

Soothsayer:
Beware the ides of March.

Caesar:
What man is that?

Brutus:
A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.

Julius Caesar Act 1, scene 2, 15–19


No comments: