Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Chi Chi Pow Pow?

  It's weird when something you know and love from your childhood is suddenly turned upside down when you watch it in another language. Of course the translation is always different. So I'm watching one of my very favorites Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and I was thinking that my generation in Italy grew up calling Smurfs, Puffi. Micky Mouse is called Topolino. It's a small thing but a big eye-opener for an expat on cultural differences. But even though the words are different, Tom still chases Jerry and runs into a frying pan and that's funny in any language. (That's Tom e Gerry in Italian).
Chitty chitty bang bang "coo chi face" in Italian


Sound of Music: "my favorite things" or in Italian "tutti insieme appassionatamente"

No comments: