Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How Italians Do Waffles

  You can find waffles in one form or another in every European country. Although the Belgians are the most famous, they don't have the monopoly. Head to the mountain town of Fenestrelle, Italy where they famously make delicious thin style waffles in a waffle pan called a Gofri.
  This weekend I ventured to (my friends really had to twist my arm) a regional food festival in Torino celebrating foods famous from different towns in Piedmont. The longest line at any food stall was by far at the waffle stand. I just had to investigate. I took a peek behind the scenes and found 8 waffle makers each with a Gofri just as busy as Santa's workshop. They couldn't make them fast enough!
Patrons ordering a waffle (for 3 euros) were offered the choice of center spread of either Nutella or gorgonzola and ham. We chose the chocolate of course. They let me snap a few photos of them happily making waffles for the hordes of buyers. Don't tell my friends but after they left, I snuck back and had a second one....they were that good.

7 comments:

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Is this the one that was the Royal Gardens? I was there too although we didn't stop for anything.

Lucia said...

OMG...WHERE DO I GET A JAR OF NUTELLA THAT BIG???? BTW...your post made me hungry, beautiful!

No Carnations said...

Ditto. I need that huge jar of Nutella!

Italian Postcards said...

Sonia, Yep that's the one! There were tons of free samples as well.

Lucia & Sheena, You can find that jar of Nutella all over here. Many people get it for Christmas as well. Nice huh?!

Angela said...

hi!! I love your blog! I happened upon it on the Expats for Italy page..I have also just moved to Italy from the States and was wondering if I could ask you some questions as I went through a bit of culture shock! I tried to email you but it would not let me. I know you are busy but I was wondering if you would email me so I could chat with you about a few things? visas, fashion, and Italian basics?
I would really appreciate it!! BTW I love the nutella...The first time I saw the jar I had to have one! haha my email is angelamand99@yahoo.com and my blog is "A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words" Thanks!

angela

Anonymous said...

I would like to appreciate you the way you have shared the post with us. It is really hard to find the quality post, but you have done this job nicely man.Cheap Postcards

Unknown said...

Oh Gosh i want one!