Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Flavor of the Month

The flavor of the month at Grom gelatoria is panettone! If you had not yet had the pleasure of panettone let me give you a quick description. It's a orange flavor sponge cake with candied fruits baked inside. It was first made in Milan and takes 3 days to make because the dough is actually cured like sourdough. It's traditionally eaten at Christmas dinner for dessert with a sweet sparkling wine, and the the next day for breakfast with hot chocolate.

The panettone gelato starts with a dense creamy orange base infused with chunks of candied fruits. It's delecious. I would say that the only thing missing is the crunchy sugary crust which is for me the best part.

2 comments:

SarahI said...

Oh my gosh...that looks like heaven!! Very much enjoying your blog. (I'm from NY) I plan to visit the Amalfi coast in the next year or so...but these smaller towns...you just never know what you might be missing in Italy! Thanks for the lesson!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, looks delicious.

Buon Natale!